SUMMER BBQ COOKING CLASSwith Chris Onions
Saturday 6th August 2016 - *fully booked*
9.30am - 4.30pm
Even in the drizzliest of British summers there's nothing quite like lighting a fire and cooking outside! This one-day workshop is a celebration of deep smoky flavours, exquisite summer vegetables, the rituals of fire and sharing a meal outdoors with friends. A world away from blackened sausages with tomato ketchup!
During this hands on-day you will create a range of edible delights including preparing meat from the land at Trill, day boat caught sustainable fish from the South West and fresh seasonal vegetables from our garden. You will cook up a fantastic feast for the BBQ lunch and take away a selection of relishes and accompaniments you have created, along with recipes and a host of new skills and ideas!
- We will discover the best cuts of meat for barbecuing, and how to prepare them, including whole joints
- Prepare a range of marinades for meat, fish and vegetables
- Make deliciously flavoured burgers that really stick together!
- Delicious and unusual vegetables recipes for the BBQ
- How to choose sustainable fish and how to prepare it
- Cooking seafood on the BBQ
- Make your own simple buns and flatbreads
- Sumptuous salads and seasonal side dishes
- Create tasty relishes, pickles and sauces
This is a small course with just ten participants, allowing plenty of time for questions and discussions. Chris Onions is always happiest when talking about food and sharing his knowledge and passion for cooking and growing.
Chris Onions arrived at Trill in October 2014 after a long journey from his home on the island of Islay. He is classically trained and has worked his way through kitchens from Australia to Norway. On leaving Australia his cooking career was put on hold and he began to work within a social cooperative on a small farm in Sweden, offering care and training for people in need of some help. This project provided him with a new vision and vital training on how cooking and the garden can be used for rehabilitation and practical learning.